header right

Emancipation of Minor

What you need to know

Emancipation is a legal procedure that frees children from the custody and control of their parents or guardians before they reach the age of majority. (In California, this is age 18.) If you become emancipated, you will be able to do certain things without your parent’s consent, such as:

  • Consent to medical treatment
  • Apply for a work permit
  • Enroll in school or college

You will also give up your right to be supported by your parents.

Even if you are emancipated:

  • You must still attend school
  • You cannot get married without parental consent
  • You probably will remain under juvenile court jurisdiction, if you commit a crime


©2017 Superior Court of California, County of Placer. All rights reserved
Terms of Use | Comments regarding this Web site may be directed to: webmaster@placer.courts.ca.gov