Name Change

The petition for change of name or change of gender must be filed in the Superior Court of the county where the person whose name is to be changed presently lives. The petition may be used to change one’s own name and, under certain circumstances, the names of others (e.g. children under 18 years of age).

Hearings are scheduled 6 to 7 weeks from filing, you will need to provide the court with the Driver’s License number, Social Security number and any AKA names you have used (this applies to adults only), as a background check will be conducted by the courts. You must also list the newspaper you are going to publish in. (All Name Change hearings MUST be published for 4 consecutive weeks).

Click here for more information on a name change

Click here for more information on gender change

© 2019 Superior Court of Placer County