header right

Legal Separation

A party who either can’t file for divorce because he or she does not meet the residency requirements or does not wish to end the marriage for a reasons may file a Legal Separation. The judicial officer can make orders for child support and/or spousal support, custody and visitation, and division of property, however the parties remain legally married, although they may be living apart.  The only difference between this and a divorce is that the parties are not free to remarry.  Some reasons for doing a legal separation instead of a divorce are to "soften the blow" of a divorce, for religious reasons, to remain on a spouse's health insurance, or to separate finances if one of the parties is financially irresponsible. 

©2017 Superior Court of California, County of Placer. All rights reserved
Terms of Use | Comments regarding this Web site may be directed to: webmaster@placer.courts.ca.gov