Self-help center


Hours, Location, Services

Self-Help Center (Facilitator’s Office)
Howard G. Gibson Courthouse
Bill Santucci Justice Center
10820 Justice Center Drive, Roseville CA 95678

Recorded Information Line: (916) 408-6446
Contact Us

By Appointment from 8am-12 noon Monday, 8-12 noon Tuesday , 8-3pm Wednesday, 8-12 noon Thursday, 8-12 noon Friday

Review our forms page for all local court forms.

To schedule an in person appointment with the Self-Help Center, visit our appointment reservation system. (Note: You must select “Appointment Legal Self-Help” on the appointment page or you will not get to our office!)


About Our Services

The Self-Help Center provides legal and procedural information and assistance with court forms to self-represented litigants with cases in or who reside in Placer County. The Self-Help Center does not represent people in court and the services provided do not result in an attorney-client relationship. With the exception of Settlement Services (defined below), we cannot assist litigants who are represented by attorneys and our services are not confidential. We assist both sides of the case equally. To get legal advice or have a confidential conversation, you must speak with a private attorney. All services of the Self-Help Center are free of charge..


What Types of Cases Do We Help With?

The Self-Help Center will attempt to steer you in the right direction in any type of case. The bulk of the issues we help with are family law, child support, evictions, small claims, guardianships and restraining orders. Below, our most frequently provided services are listed by type of law. We also provide instruction sheets and links if you would like to do the paperwork yourself. We are happy to provide in-person assistance by appointment at the Self-Help Center located at the Gibson Courthouse. If you do not see what you need on this web page and you need assistance, just ask!



Self-Help assistance is available by appointment only.

Appointments for one-on-one assistance and/or to Finish Your Divorce may be scheduled online in advance or by same-day appointment at the ticket kiosk located on the first floor of the Gibson Courthouse. Please note, only a limited number of same-day appointments are available each day. If you want a same-day appointment, you should arrive no later than 8:00 a.m. as those appointments may fill up very quickly. A step-by-step instruction guide for making appointments for one-on-one appointments and to Finish Your Divorce can be downloaded by clicking How to Schedule an Appointment with the Self-Help Center.

Appointments for Self-Help Settlement Services may be requested in-person, at a court hearing, or by a written stipulated request. (See information below.)



The Self-Help Center offers Self-Represented litigants one-on-one assistance remotely through video conferencing. To schedule a video conference appointment, click on “Contact Us” above to send an email request for video conferencing.



Yes. The Self-Help Center provides three (3) daily appointments for settlement services to help finish your family law matter. Self-Help Settlement Services is a no-cost service available for family law cases in which one or both parties to the case are self-represented. If both parties are represented by an attorney, they cannot participate in Self-Help Settlement Services, however, if both parties are represented by an attorney in a Family Law case and interested in settlement or alternative dispute resolution, you may contact the Placer County Bar Association for assistance and schedule a settlement conference. For Self-Help Settlement Services, Self-Help staff will serve as a Settlement Officer and meet with the parties to attempt to resolve issues that are not related to custody, visitation, or domestic violence issues. Like all Self-Help Center services, the Settlement Services staff person that you will meet with is not your attorney. There is no attorney/client privilege. However, based on Evidence Code Section 1119, statements made during Settlement Services discussions are confidential and not admissible in court. Please see the Self-Help Settlement Services Information Sheet for IMPORTANT information.
NOTE: In order to access Self-Help Settlement Services:

  1. You may ask the court to set a settlement appointment for you during a court hearing; or
  2. Both parties must agree to three (3) and up to five (5) potential appointment dates. Parties should be available for time slots chosen on their requested dates. Available appointments can be viewed by clicking Self-Help Settlement Services Availability. Once the dates are chosen, submit a request for an appointment date signed by both parties (Optional Form PL-FL024).
    1. Requests can be time-stamped and left in the Gibson Courthouse drop-box next to the 1st floor information desk or mailed to the Self-Help Center. Mail requests to the Self-Help Center at P.O. Box 619072, Roseville, CA 95661 no less than 10 business days prior to the soonest appointment date to allow time for processing and appointment confirmation
  3. Receive confirmation of your appointment date and time from the Self-Help Center. Confirmations will be sent to both parties at the email or mailing addresses provided.

frequently asked questions

instructions sheets and information



General Information about Divorce, Legal Separation and Annulment here.
“Start Your Divorce” Instruction Sheet.
Financial Disclosures Information Sheet


I Want to Respond to a Divorce/Legal Separation/Annulment

If you and the other party are in agreement on most things, we suggest you make an appointment with the Legal Help Center for assistance before filing a Response with the court. There may be ways of moving forward with the case by agreement, without the expense of filing a Response.

Response to Divorce/Legal Separation/Annulment Instruction Sheet
Financial Disclosures Information Sheet


Finish Your Divorce Clinic

This clinic offers one-on-one assistance to Self-Represented litigants with the paperwork necessary to finish a divorce. This is a very popular clinic with limited space. Litigants are assisted by appointment only.

Note: In order to attend the Clinic you must:

1. Wait at least 31 days from the date that the Respondent was served with the Petition and Summons, and

2. Have filed your Proof of Service of Summons, or bring it for the clinic and

3. Have completed your financial disclosures (Income and Expense Declaration and Schedule of Assets and Debts. Click here for instructions. The Petitioner is required to complete disclosures. The Respondent is required to complete disclosures if a Response has been filed or if the parties wish to make a full agreement, and

4. The Petitioner must be at the Clinic if the divorce is “uncontested” (no Response has been filed), or

5. Both the Petitioner and Respondent must come to the clinic if a Response is filed or if the parties wish to make a full agreement. Both sides must agree on all issues that apply to their case. This includes: child custody and visitation, child support, spousal support and division of property.

This clinic is held every Thursday at 1:30 p.m. You may schedule an appointment by clicking the appointment link above. Limited same-day appointments will be available at the Ticket Kiosk on the first floor of the courthouse starting at 1 p.m. on Thursday.

Where: Check in at the second floor Self Help Center window at 1:00 p.m.

What to bring: You must bring three (3) First-Class Mail stamps and three (3) envelopes (business sized #10 and 9x10 "manilla" sized envelopes are recommended). Each person must bring their valid driver's license or other valid government issued photo ID. You must also have the other party's mailing address with you.



The Self-Help Center provides a Domestic Violence Restraining Order workshop co-facilitated with Stand Up Placer on the first and third Wednesday of each month beginning at 8:30a.m. This workshop is for self-represented customers who would like to request a domestic violence restraining order. The Self-Help Center staff and Stand Up Placer staff will assist Self-Represented litigants with the necessary forms.

Where: Check in at the second-floor Self Help Center window



For general information about child custody and support here.



If you want to get child custody or support orders, you must open the right kind of court case, then ask for orders in that case. The process for asking for a court hearing is called "Request for Order". You can open the court case and ask for orders at the same time by turning in all the papers to the court clerk. There are several kinds of court cases, depending on the circumstances. For more information on what case to file, review the statements below. We suggest that you make an appointment with the Self-Help Center to determine the proper filing.



You can File Petition for Custody and Support without filing for a divorce and then file a Request for Order.


I have never been married to my child's Other Parent

File a Petition to Establish Parental Relationship, and then file a Request for Order.



You can file a Request for Order in your divorce case to ask for custody and child support.


© 2019 Superior Court of Placer County