Feedback/Grievance Procedures

Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) Grievance Procedure

This Grievance Procedure is established in accordance with the requirements of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA). It may be used by anyone who wishes to file a complaint alleging discrimination on the basis of disability in the provision of services, activities, programs, or benefits by the Placer County Superior Court. For more information, visit our Access Information for Persons with Disabilities page or open the PDF summary below.


ADA Grievance Procedure

Court Visitor Feedback Procedure and Form

The following documents outline the steps a court user should follow to give a general written feedback or submit a formal complaint regarding interaction with court staff or court processes. This form should not be used for feedback regarding judicial officers or case decisions.


Court User Feedback Policy 

PL-CW905, Court Visitor Feedback Form

Family Court Services (FCS) Complaint Procedure and Form

Complaints concerning the court-connected child custody mediators, recommending counselors, evaluators, and/or the Family Court Services Program are handled according to the following guidelines and form. For more information, visit our Family Court Services and Child Custody Mediation page. 


FCS Client Complaint Procedure

FCS Client Complaint Form 

Language Access Complaint Procedure and Form

If you have a complaint about language access services at a local court, or if you would like to provide feedback about language access services, fill out form PL-CW906 and turn in the complaint form. For more information, visit our Interpreter Information page. 


PL-CW906, Language Access Services Complaint Form 

PL-CW906S, Formulario de quejas de Servicios de acceso al idioma

PL-CW906R, Услуги перевода Форма для подачи жалобы

Self-Help Complaint Procedure and Form

In order to provide court users the opportunity to give formal feedback on services rendered by the Self-Help Center, the following Self-Help Center Feedback Form Process has been established. For more information, visit our Self-Help Center page. 


Self-Help Center Feedback Policy

Self-Help Center Feedback Form

Concerns Regarding an Attorney in Juvenile Dependency Cases

Complaints concerning an attorney representing minors or parents in juvenile dependency cases must be submitted to the Juvenile Court Clerk using the contact form on the Juvenile Contact Us page. Written complaints may also be submitted by mail or in person to the address listed below. 


Placer Superior Court
ATTN: Juvenile Court Clerk
11270 B Avenue
Auburn, CA 95603